CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Halloween Cliff Hanger...

Ok, I know you have all been chomping at the bit to find out what happened!!! First let me give warning... this will be a long post of two days of effort from last week. It will be filled with trials and triumphs. Ha! Just kidding, I'm being dramatic. :-) Surprise! Any who, I'm getting off course because of the time and I just can't go to sleep! So I'm writing my long overdue days from last week. :-)

Friday... I wake up at a ridiculous hour because the 2 batches of rice krispie treats were bothering me. I had figured out a way to use a much smaller pumpkin cut out to split with each of the 22 students in Steven's class but overall I would have felt like I was ripping off 1st graders with my stinginess. So, I got up really early to make 2 more batches so I could use my adorable normal not so small pumpkin cookie cutter. So I get my 2 batches started, and my sweet early birds are up with me "helping". :-) Actually Steven was helping and Joshua kept trying to push his chair closer to the do not come any further zone. While Steven was stirring the marshmallows and butter I pull out my 2 other refrigerated batches which were now frozen in the fridge and would not cut out! I wanted to cry!! I did not have anymore ingredients left for mistakes!! I even forced my cookie cutter into the frozen tundra of my rice krispie treats when I realized that I would need Sampson to accomplish this task. During my trying not to freak out and setting a good example time, the other 2 batches of rice krispies were finished and ready to be panned. Oh, and did I mentioned I used almost all the orange sugar sprinkle to make the 2 other patches look orange. I only had just a little bit left to work with the other batch!!

Suddenly an idea formed....How about I form the hot then later warm krispies into the cookie cutter!! Ding, Ding!! We have a winner, it worked out!! I was praying and praying it would and I had exactly 22 rice krispies treats shaped as pumpkins with my 2 batches!!! :-) The evening before I had calculated that it would take 4 batches to accomplish this but I hadn't counted on not making them so tall and instead spreading them out. Then Steven my brilliant son had a plan about warming up the "frozen" krispies and cutting out the rest for the teacher and office staff! Wow!! What a great idea, if you thought of this before, in my defense, it was early and I had no coffee or caffeine to stimulate my brain. :-) So, I use the 3rd batch to take care of the teacher etc. With a 4th batch left over. Well, I felt so proud that before the crack of dawn, I had accomplished so much. Then Steve comes down telling me that he is supposed to bring something in to work that morning for his office party... Well, here darling, (said in June Cleaver fashion) take this extra batch of rice krispie treats! :-)

Here are the delectable pics of our rice krispie pumpkin treats...











As you can't see the one on the Left doesn't have much sprinkles and the one above does. :-) The ones with the most went to the teachers. :-)

Ok, now that was Friday early morning, after I drop of Steven, I head over to mom's to help her and leave Joshua in her care for a few hours. As soon as I arrive I find out that the Scooby Doo custom she order for Steven didn't arrive!! Yikes!!! I have only 1 hour before I need to head back to my home and get the book I'm reading to Steven's class and then take all the pumpkin treats!! How am I going to find a costume?? There was no such luck, I called almost everyone. This year I had already decided that I WAS NOT Going to SEW any costumes last minute!!! Not going to do it!! I have too many things going on this isn't going to happen. I had already decided we are recycling costumes this year until my mom graciously offered to order Steven and Joshua Scooby Doo costumes. So, with my firm foot wafting in the wind. I go to Steven's school, have a wonderful time with my sweet boy and his classmates. Have lunch with him and then head to the playground and serve my pumpkin treats to all! They were a hit!! Whew! You never know with kids. I take my leave but hang around downtown because I have to pick him up in another hour and check out some stores.

I haven't found anything so I let Steven know about the costume. He was very sad about it but then was so sweet and told me it was ok and that he could be Wall-e and he wanted to know if I couldn't find a Scooby Doo outfit could I make one? If not I can be wall-e. Well, it's now more than 3 days... that's my memory capacity... but what he said was so sweet and loving that it made me determined to make him or find him a Scooby Doo costume. I know, it's riduculous about his effort I'm making for a night I really don't care for.... although a Pagan Eve before the Saints day, it has a religous beginning to it... but I don't agree with it. So off to a costume shop who had one in Steven's size but once we got there they don't know what happened to it and it must have sold because it had been sitting there for ever.

Ok, off to Joann's $16 later I have all the material I need to make this outfit. I'll spare you the details of the hours I spent just staring at the material trying to figure out the best way to duplicate Joshua's scooby doo outfit with out deconstructing Steven's pants and shirt. So fast forward to Saturday afternoon... The costume is complete!!! Steven trys it on and within 30 minutes splits the leg seams because I didn't re-enforce the seams! :-O Grr... So he will wear jammies under the entire flannel costume. Poor guy, it was a warm one with a thankful breeze.




Steven loved the costume, I had two adorable children dressed like scooby doo and they had a ball Saturday night at my parents house.



Before the festivities started we had to carve Steven' and Joshua's pumpkins. It was so funny how they thought the inside was so yucky. Steven stuck it out with his pumkin but Joshua took one sniff and touch of the stringy guts and said eeww yucky. :-)
Here are their wonderful pumpkins. Joshua's in on the R and Steven's is on the L.



Doing their favorite thing... passing out candy and saying hi to all the kids!


Steve and I eventually took them out to a few neighbor houses we knew. Joshua was a little scared the first door he went to and then he realized he knew them and was happily asking for treats until about 6 houses and then he was finished. Steven on the other hand was excited and wanted to walk the entire neigbhorhoood. :-) In the end the frenzied Friday was forgotten and I got to enjoy my evening with my sweet boys!!

Once we were done handing out candy and they had been bathed, we all snuggled down to watch the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. It was great watching this movie agian through their eyes! Steven and Joshua got a kick out of Charlie Brown saying, "I got a rock!" They just laughed and laughed. Aw, such wonderful memories!!

1 comments:

TwinMint said...

Steven's costume looks awesome! You did a great job and what a good (guilt-ridden) mommy you were for making it work. :)

And how good is God for making the treats work out exactly right!? Right down to making you wake up early enough to pull it off!

Post a Comment