CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Safety Lessons

Safety lesson every mom should know and keep at all times. Never wake a sleeping bear or toddler or baby. I have known this lesson for quite some time even as a small girl my mom was very adamant about being quiet and letting my brother sleep and not to wake him up. With this lesson instilled into my brain... I took this knowledge that I had received and chunked it out the window yesterday. The second one is talking about strangers....

Joshua is currently in the fine line stage of growing out of nap time. He needs his rest but not everyday. The last few days he has been dragging and in need of a serious nap. Steve and I both had him rest on Sunday for over 1 hour and he did not sleep. I did the same thing yesterday, he laid there but would not close his eyes.

It's after 4 and it's time for us to leave to pick up Steven after his martial arts class. After the whole bird incident...read post below, he fell asleep about 5 mins before we arrive at the school. So I carry a sleeping boy to get Steven. Continue to hold a now dead weight 3 year old while Steven decides to open the door to every person picking up children. Which, I look like a mean mom or door card patrol because I demanded he close the doors immediately all the while he was letting people in, for safety reasons the people my son was letting in had to have a badge to get in before I would let them pass. All the while holding Joshua and telling Steve to let go of the door and do not hold it open for anyone else.

Well, this does not compute with Steven. I have instilled and trained him to open or hold the doors for others and now I don't want him to??? After seeing his confused look and overcoming my frustration on how others perceived me as the door gestapo, God gave me compassion towards my son. And I had to explain to him that although I am glad he opened the door for others, this particular locked door only accessible by an access card, was not to be held open unless I give special permission. We need to make sure that only this door stays locked to make sure no other kids go home with someone they are not supposed to. The light clicked on and he said he wouldn't hold the middle door but could he still hold the other doors? Yes, you can that is a great idea. :-) Safety lesson, #2 is over.

So back to our house and Joshua has slept the entire way home and is still sleeping. I have a mil of a second debate about waking him up or letting him rest. If I let him rest, he will be up until after midnight and if I wake him up I can put him to bed at normal time. So without waiting for my consequences side of my debate to hit my brain, I wake him up. Boy that was a BIG mistake. He was so miserable he couldn't even stand himself much anything else except his blankie and me to hold or rock him. Poor little guy he was such a Bear!!! All the while I ended up holding him to bring the unpleasant noise to a minimum It wasn't until bed time that he finally seemed back to his happy self and then it was bed time. Which lead to him not really sleeping until an hour after his bed time anyway. If I had just let him finished sleeping, he could have been a wake in a hour or less and I wouldn't have been subjecting our home and Joshua to such unpleasantness. Lesson learned through the school of hard knocks and now re-enforced.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew does that bring back memories...... I am glad the light came on for you too :>)!

Post a Comment