CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

School Days




I haven't posted much on our school days which I have been thoroughly enjoying! :-) This was the first year that I have not had a knot in my stomach and tears in my eyes watching my little guys go off to school. It has been so enjoyable watching how Steven and Joshua learn and grasp new concepts and explain back to me what they are learning. It is blissful!! :-) Although, it is a challenge and sometimes a battle when it comes to writing, God has given me such grace, patience and understanding to help with those issues.

My favorite homeschooling verse is "Faithful is he who is called and He shall bring it to pass." It is such a relief to have that weight off my shoulders, I just have to be faithful and God will bring everything to pass - in His own timing! :-) Aw - God's revelations, they do wonders to my stress levels. lol I still fight the urge of trying to do everything, asking how others are handling their schooling and then freaking out because I hadn't thought of something or added another subject or I might be not teaching my child everything they need to know. I just keep reminding myself that I need to be faithful and be consistent and God will take care of the rest. He made my boys and understands how they learn and I just need to continue to listen and trust in Him that He will show me my next steps in this homeschooling journey. :-)

Math U See - The boys love it!!

Frost just can't seem to help himself - he is Always in the middle of all the school work not matter what it is!
He likes to learn too!

We really have had a blast, well, I have had a blast! :-) We are now in the trenches of learning about Colonial America: Jamestown, The explorers - John Smith; the Mayflower, Pilgrims, the Plymouth Colony etc. There is so much to learn it is hard to just gloss over some things. I searched and found some really great books at our local library. I placed holds on them and when I would get emails saying some of my books were ready for pick up; I felt like it was Christmas! :-) The boys are enjoying a few of them some of them them are not that appealing to them so it's a process.

Blissfullnes!!!

Our favorite part is making crafts and talking about what we learned. Last week we made the Main Mast of the Mayflower out of Floam - so fun and then Steven drew pictures on what he would take in a trunk if he was sailing on the Mayflower. I learned so much about his line of thinking. He thought of almost everything!! Pillows and blankets, 1,000 pieces of 8 (gold coins got the term from the Monkey Island game) for trading and buying, clothes, 10 small toys, food, grain to plant, an ax, he even wanted to pack lumber to build houses! :-) This "quick" project took a long time as he wanted to make sure he had everything. The week before he was working for the London Times and wrote an article on the ships that were sailing to the new world! Oh and Thanks to Grammy we made a Meeting house and a hut from Popsicle sticks!

It has been so much fun and at times tiring but it is so worth it!! I think I could go on and on about it but I'll stop for now! :-) Here are some pics of our learning fun! I'll keep more posts going with pics in the next few weeks!

Steven doing an excellent job with his penmanship! He has really improved!!

Steven showing off his EXCELLENT work!Joshua is showing off his name!!

3 comments:

Brianna said...

Hooray for school! You are doing a great job, Jen!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jennifer, homeschooling was definitely my favorite years growing up. My parents and I learned so much together and learned how to function together very well. I'm living proof that homeschooling through highschool is possible! (10 years)-Charles Birchwood

TwinMint said...

Yay, Jen! I'm so proud of you with your comfort level increasing. You are doing a great job!

Another verse... When I'm feeling frazzled about trying to muddle through and remember all the thoughts I'm having about how to do everything: Proverbs 16:3 (NKJV) Commit your works to the LORD, and your thoughts will be established. (Most versions end with something about "your plans will succeed", but I like this one specifically promising clear thinking.)

Post a Comment